Sometimes it is both challenging and encouraging to reflect on why you do what you do.
Serving others can be both rewarding and disappointing at the same time, but there are lessons we learn along the way that help us grow.
This past week I was a guest on the podcast Transformative Principal, hosted by Principal Jethro Jones. We talked about the release of my book, Principal Matters and shared stories about our own experiences and lessons in school leadership.
The interview was posted in two parts, and this week I wanted share highlights from Part 1 (Episode 75). Click on the image or this link to listen.
Among the many school leadership issues we discussed, here is a summary Jethro included in his show notes:
- A little discussion about technology.
- Some information on his book. How to make decisions.
- Write things down when they are still fresh so you know how to do it next time.
- Write processes down now so that you have them next time.
- Make a list and prioritize.
- How to delegate effectively.
- Importance of taking time off to recharge.
- The power of good mentors.
- Writing a letter of resignation.
- How to live without putting out fires all the time!
- Give instruction on the front end to make expectations more effective.
- Great teachers teach with both sides of their brains at once.
- More about KRAs.
As you listen, I hope you’ll think about your own challenges and successes in your own area of expertise. What lessons are you learning that may be helpful insights for others too?
Jethro has some other great interviews on his podcast, so please give the show a big shout-out by ranking it on Itunes!
Now It’s Your Turn
Here’s a practical question for this week: What are some great digital tools you utilize to stay organized that could also help others who want to get control of their to-do’s? Share your comments with the rest of us!
Sign-Up For Free Updates and Ebook
When you enter your email address below, you will automatically receive my newest posts and a free Ebook, 8 Hats: Essential Roles for School Leaders. Let’s keep learning together!
[yks-mailchimp-list id=”43cf67799e” submit_text=”Submit”]
Principal Matters–The Book!
School leaders are very busy, so each of the twenty-four chapters is designed as a quick-read and followed with take-action questions for follow-up or reflection. If you want practical ideas on understanding your purpose, managing school teams, dealing with challenges, and leading with courage, action, motivation, and teamwork, go HERE to pick up a copy for you or your team.