These last couple of week, I’ve been on the road a lot visiting schools and principals across my state. For the next couple of weeks, I plan to share some thoughts from the road – literally. This week’s episode I recorded while driving (after safely cuing my recorder before starting a long drive).
5 Takeaways for New Principals
I reflect on thoughts I’ve been having while talking to new principals:
- Building culture as the foundation of your school experience
- Understanding your past, building new procedures, and maintaining momentum
- “Chunking” your schedule to prioritize instructional leadership and focus on important vs. urgent tasks
- Expressing appreciation to teachers in creative ways they help choose
- Remembering why your leadership matters to your students, teachers, and community members
Normally, I include a longer written summary, but this week, I encourage you to listen to the podcast episode if want more details, examples, and reflections. (Plus, I can’t write as much when driving long road trips.)
Finally, I want to give a shout-out to Jen Shwanke’s book, You’re the Principal! Now What? Strategies and Solutions for New School Leaders, which I reference extensively in these reflection. This book has been a wonderful resource for new principals, and I highly recommend it.
Now It’s Your Turn
I’d love to hear ideas from you on ways you’ve invested in culture, prioritized your schedule, or planned appreciation for your team members. As always, thanks for learning together, and thanks for doing what matters!
Sign-Up For Free Updates and Ebook
You can automatically receive new posts and a free Ebook, 8 Hats: Essential Roles for School Leaders. Let’s keep learning together!