This week I have the privilege of sharing a conversation with Daniel Bauer about his new book, His new book, Mastermind: Unlocking Talent Within Every School Leader.
Danny’s new book reimagines what professional development for school administrators looks like in order to meet the needs of all school leaders who currently feel isolated and overwhelmed. You will want to pick up a copy today as I’ve already had an advanced look and can’t wait to get my hands on the final printed publication.
Danny was a guest on Principal Matters: The School Leader’s Podcast first in June 2017 for Episode 71: How Masterminds Help You Grow. Later in August 2019, he was a guest again for Episode 162: Building Community Through a Go-Community.
Daniel Bauer is a self-proclaimed “Unorthodox Ruckus Maker” who has mentored thousands of school leaders through his Better Leaders Better Schools blog, books, podcasts, and powerful coaching experiences.
I have been sitting on this conversation for months, and I enjoyed this conversation so much that I have split it into two parts. So I hope you enjoy Part 1 this week, and I’ll share Part 2 with you next week.
Here’s a Glimpse of our Question/Answer Time:
WDP: In your book, you look at the variety of reasons school leaders aren’t experiencing transformative professional development. Can you explain what you have learned?
- Some professional development is delivered inauthentically.
- Isolation is a key factor that leaders don’t connect and grow.
- Many districts do their best, but the professional development they offer end up being missed opportunities.
WDP: What have you learned about who makes the ideal mastermind member and the ABCs of powerful professional development™?
- Authenticity, belonging, and challenge
- Professional development built with the ABCs in mind leads to transformation. (Mastermind score card)
WDP: You talk a lot about authenticity. Why is this so important?
- Professional development that is psychologically safe
- Encourages self-awareness
- Is values driven can be regarded as authentic
WDP: What have you learned about the importance of belonging?
- Shared purpose, inclusive environments, and trust are the cornerstones of creating connection between leaders in a professional development experience.
WDP: How have you seen your mastermind challenging members to level up?
- We do this by developing our leaders’ mindsets, encouraging them to take action, and surround them with a powerful community