This week, Will Parker and Jen Schwanke tackle the topic of discipline in schools. More specifically, they discuss how to discipline with dignity as school leaders. One of the questions that they explore is: As discipline ramps up this time of year, how can principals empower teachers to manage discipline in Tier One?
Some topics teams might discuss:
- 10, 10, 10 rule
- In what ways are policies only as good as the people who administer them?
- Does the school handbook and district policies reflect your teacher’s approach to discipline and vice-versa?
- What role do you think a principal should take in managing discipline?
- Is a school-wide discipline approach or a class-by-class behavior plan better?
- What are the limitations of PBIS? What are the strengths?
- What do we mean by “differentiate discipline”?
Other ideas from Will’s book, Principal Matters:
- Set high expectations
- Let consequences fit infractions
- Be consistent
- Be creative (or flexible) when possible
- Be specific and document
- Communicate trust
Now It’s Your Turn:
What ways do you approach school discipline? How do you empower teachers to manage discipline in your schools?